When the afternoon yawns have us seriously slowing down at our desks, there is one drink we reach for time and time again for an instant boost—green tea. Sipping the caffeinated elixir is better for our bodies than downing a Diet Coke or that fourth cup of microwaved coffee. Plus, green tea instantly wakes us up around 3:30 p.m. but won’t keep us from getting a good night’s sleep later that evening. We’ve been enjoying green tea so much lately that we wondered if there were lesser-known benefits of the soothing beverage. We delved into a little research to learn more about how going green is good for both the mind and body.
1. It helps reduce stress. Green tea has an amino acid that’s cited to reduce stress. Combine the amino acid with green tea’s warming qualities and subtle aroma, and you’ll naturally start to feel less stressed when you drink it.
2. It increases immunity.Recent research details how green tea may slow the growth of cancer and help prevent Parkinson’s Disease. Green tea is packed with antioxidants and certain studies have shown that women who consume green tea had a 22% lower risk of developing breast cancer than those who did not drink it.
3. It lowers cholesterol. Having lower cholesterol is considered heart healthy, so we can assume that green tea reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.
4. It boosts metabolism. Want to lose weight? Start drinking green tea because it can lead to a decrease in body fat and increase in the metabolic rate.
5. It can kill bacteria. The catechins in green tea kill bacteria and ward off certain strains of the flu virus. These catechins also can inhibit the growth of harmful plaque on teeth.
What are your favourite benefits of green tea? Share them with us in the comments below!